It might sound hard to believe that a plumbing issue in your Mesquite home could be responsible for an unexplained illness. But it is very possible if you have a hidden water leak in your home that has promoted the growth of toxic black mold. It takes only 24 hours for mold to begin to infest the walls, floors, and ceilings of a home with a water leak. Then the airborne mold spores start to contaminate the air throughout the house.
Signs Of A Water Leak
You might not always see a water leak, as many are concealed by the structure of your home. However, there are some typical indications of a water leak somewhere in your home. These hints that something is amiss include:
- A decrease in water pressure
- Contamination in your home’s water
- A damp or pungent mildew odor
- Stains or discoloration on walls, ceilings, or floors
- Bubbling of paint
- Peeling of wallpaper
- Bulging of drywall
- Cracking or heaving of wood flooring
- Water seeping through the tile grout lines in the flooring
If you discover any of these signs of a water leak, it is essential to call (214) 388-8838 immediately to schedule a visit from the licensed professionals at Flow Plumbing.
Does Water Always Cause Mold Issues?
Mold is a fungus that requires food, moisture, and an optimal temperature to survive. Most homes offer the ideal temperature needed as well as multiple food sources including wood, fabric, carpet, paper products, and other porous materials. But what is missing in the average home is the necessary moisture to allow mold to thrive. When you have a water leak in your home, all the necessities are provided for mold to grow and multiply rapidly. So unless the water leak is repaired quickly, mold is very likely to accompany any water leaks inside your house.
The Impact Of Mold Exposure On Your Health
Most mold-related health concerns center around the respiratory system. However, physical contact with mold spores can result in skin irritation for some people. Those with no preexisting health issues or compromised immune systems typically experience less severe symptoms. However, they can become severe or life-threatening. The common reactions to mold exposure include:
- Red, watering, itchy, or swollen eyes
- Throat and nose irritation
- Coughing and sneezing like a cold or allergic reaction
- Sinus pain, pressure, and congestion
- Upper and lower respiratory infections
- Difficulty breathing
It is essential to know that anyone with allergies, asthma, or COPD could experience much more severe reactions very rapidly. It is also common for domestic pets, including cats and dogs, to exhibit these symptoms from mold exposure.
If you and your loved ones are experiencing unexplained health issues related to the respiratory system, it is very possible that a water leak in your home is to blame. Call (214) 388-8838 to request an appointment with the experts at Flow Plumbing to locate and repair any water leaks in your home that could be promoting the mold growth that is causing your health issues.