A water leak in your home is annoying. But sadly, many homeowners do not consider all of the problems and expenses that they could encounter as the result of one tiny plumbing leak that was overlooked just a little too long. As a rule, a small leak is easy and inexpensive to repair. But the longer the leak is ignored, the more costly the repair. And in addition to the cost of the leak repair, there can be other costly complications that could have been avoided with a fast call to your favorite plumbing company.
- WASTED WATER – Depending on where you live, this could be a costly issue for some than others. But the fact of the matter is that water is a precious natural resource that should be treated with respect. Wasting water in a place such as California is a very serious matter. Parts of the state have severe penalties for those who are not following the water restrictions enacted due to the drought conditions. But no matter where you live, you are paying for water that is being wasted. And that could have been avoided by calling a plumber at the first sign of a water leak.
- MOLD – Mold and mildew thrive in moist, warm areas. And though your home is likely always warm enough to support mold and mildew growth, it is not moist enough. But introduce one little water leak, and you have created the perfect habitat to begin cultivating, potentially harmful black mold. It only takes 48 hours for mold to start to grow. And the colony can begin to expand exponentially in just over a week. And once mold takes hold of your home, you are at risk for health-related issues such as allergic reactions, breathing difficulty, and even life-threatening complications. You are also risking potential structural damage to your home as mold degrades building materials like wood and drywall.
- CONTAMINATION OF YOUR DRINKING WATER – If water can leak out of a pipe, fitting, or plumbing fixture, contaminants can also be getting into your water pipes and the water you are consuming. You might notice discoloration of your water if the leak is underground and is contaminated with soil. But you would likely not see if your water supply is being contaminated by mold spores that are entering a damaged pipe. Drinking contaminated water can cause severe illness or injury to you and your loved ones.
- PEST INTRUSIONS – Water means life to all living things. So when you are offering free water via a water leak, many creatures will gladly move into your home to enjoy the convenience of modern indoor plumbing. Termites and ants are known to feast on moist wood and other building products. So not only are they annoying and dirty, but they are compromising the structural integrity of your house. And rodents are also huge fans of free water and a cozy place to make a nest. So you can expect to find squirrels, mice, and rats infesting your home to enjoy a reliable water source. And by the way, these creatures will also chew up your home to build a nest and possibly carry rabies or other diseases into your home.
The best way to avoid these expensive and harmful issues is to avoid allowing leaks in your home to linger. As soon as you discover a water leak, call your trusted plumber to get the tiny problem repaired for just a small amount.
Warning Signs Of A Water Leak
Be proactive when it comes to checking for leaks around your home. If you see any of the following, call a plumber:
- Unexplained puddles of water
- Moist or discolored walls, ceilings, or floors
- Constantly damp areas in your yard
- Excessively tall, lush grass in a small part of your yard
- Discolored water coming from your faucet
When you notice any of these common indications of a water leak, call (214) 388-8838 immediately. A licensed Flow Plumbing plumber will arrive promptly to locate the leak and provide you with cost-effective solutions. Take action before the small issue becomes a massively expensive problem.